Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't calculate an Average in a query 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
Related to a recent post, I'm investigating the "billability" of my employees. I have five different folks that turn in timesheets with a few categories on them where they allocate their time. I have a query that works just fine that calculates, on a weekly basis, what their billability is. The query is:

[tt]SELECT tblPeople.FirstName, IIf(Billable=0,Format(0,"Percent"),Format([Billable]/([Billable]+[Overhead]),"Percent")) AS BillRate
FROM tblPeople INNER JOIN tblHours ON tblPeople.ID = tblHours.PersonID
ORDER BY tblPeople.FirstName;
[/tt]

The IIF statement is there in case they were on vacation the whole week to return a zero, otherwise I get a #Num! and I can't perform any additional calculations. Or at least, that's what I think.

What I want to do is average the billability for each person. I keep trying to figure out a way to get Access 2010 to average the percentages but Access throws up the error "data type mismatch". Not sure what to do.

Thanks!!

Matt

hi,

Does EVERY row have a numeric amount of BOTH [Billable] and [Overhead]?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

but Access throws up the error "data type mismatch".
On which statement ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

IIf(Billable=0,Format(0,"Percent"),Format([Billable]/([Billable]+[Overhead]),"Percent"))

The format function returns a string. Cannot average a string.

apply formatting at the form, or datasheet level.

Skip:

Every employee has several categories for the record for a given week. I set the table up such that it pre-populates the entries as zero. So every record will have a value. The problem is dividing by zero, of course. That being said, not every row will have a value greater than zero for [Billable] and [Overhead]. There's another field for time off called [PTO] which is not included in this equation (don't want to penalize employees for taking time off, they should!) which may be 40, meaning they took the entire week off.

PHV:

It throws up the error on the statement for 'Billrate'. Looks like MajP explained it, and when I copied and pasted the information into Excel, Excel told me that the numbers were stored as text. I removed the formatting and it fixed the issue, and now I'm getting averages.

MajP:

Thanks! You fixed the issue! Now I need to go figure out how to apply the formatting after the fact in a report.

Thanks!!

Matt

If the field is numeric then in the control properties go to "format" tab and choose percent.

If you aer doing the report in Excel, then your query could be...
Code:
SELECT tblPeople.FirstName, [highlight #FCE94F]IIf(Billable=0,0,[Billable]/([Billable]+[Overhead])[/highlight] AS BillRate
FROM tblPeople INNER JOIN tblHours ON tblPeople.ID = tblHours.PersonID
ORDER BY tblPeople.FirstName;
...ASSUMING that Billable is NUMERIC and Overhead is NUMERIC.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull this stuff into Excel. I kind of like to keep everything in one platform, but connecting Excel to Access is really, really easy. And the graphs/charts are much better also. Regardless, yep, Skip, that's what I did, thank you for that verification!

Thanks!!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back