Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browser network PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chongtl

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
MY
Recently I bought new Winxp pro PC. My network is running peer to peer (Workgroup)

This new PC can't see other PCs in the networkplace. Why?

Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed as this clears up many networking issues. see
Also, make sure you have run the network conneciton wizzard, and that the workgroup name is idintical to that of the other PCs on the workgroup.

Also, Windows XP uses TCP/IP as it's network protocol, so make sure that the other PCs on the network also have the TCP/IP network protocol installed (NetBEUI was the default network protocol for earlier versions of Windows).

I already install SP1. The network is on TCPIP. Already gone thru the network wizard.

I can ping other PC by IP but not by host name. If I put the hostname in hosts file. I can ping by name.

Surf internet no problem.

The default gateway & DNS pointed to same device. (LAN Modem).

I have another Notebook running XP and network setting is the same. (beside IP address) This notebook have no problem browse other PC via networkplace.

I checked with Microsoft support, the computer browser & Netbios over TCPIP is set and service is started.

If it because of NIC problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back