Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse to workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbokitty

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
CA
Hello.. I'm fairly new to network admin so please keep answers at a low-intermediate level. =)
I've installed Win2k Server on a PC in what was once a 15 workstation peer-to-peer network.
-Converted all work stations to Win2k Pro
-Installed the server O/S
-Installed DHCP, DNS, Active Directory (left out WINS)
-Created a new domain (it connects to the Internet by dial-up and has no Internet domain so I just called it an arbitrary name "fsi.org.gy")
-Got the workstations to recognize the server (disabled NetBios as well)
-Created a few user accounts that login fine

2 problems
------------
#1- I can't get the roaming profiles to work (although I think this will be solved with a SP2 upgrade which I can do as soon as #2 is solved)
#2 - I can't browse to the workstations from the server or vice versa even when I'm logged in as Admin on both server and ws.
I've shared the entire hard drive on both PC's with full rights to admin (and even to Everyone) and I still can't see anything.

What am I doing wrong?
Feeling stupid,
TK

Did you add the ip of your Dns server to your wrkstns? ENABLE NetBios on your on your workstns. With both of these done it will work.

I thought NetBIOS was only for pre-windows 2000 O/S's? I was trying to do it all through TCP/IP.
Perhaps it is a problem with my DNS or DHCP settings. I'm only putting one server on the network so my domain controller is also my DNS controller and gateway. I think I may have set it up wrong.
I made the IP of the server 10.10.10.1 and made a scope of 10.10.10.2 to 10.10.10.255 with my gateway set to 10.10.10.1. The workstations wouldn't login at all with it setup as dynamic IPs with NetBIOS so I gave them static ones within the scope and removed NetBIOS.
How can I get dynamically set IPs working? and do I really need NetBIOS?
Thanks!
TK
PS: I am going to dial-up to the 'net with the server, but I haven't bothered figuring that out yet. I'm pretty sure I can do it as I have the Microsoft article describing how to do it.
This is why I made the server the gateway.

=)

Re-creat your scope, activate the scope add authorize it in active directory. Add the scope options, dns,router ..
In the properties of your dhcp server, make sure that the "automayicly update dhcp clients in dns " is selected. You need NetBios over TCP/IP to see your computer names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back