Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse or restore data to new location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFinn

MIS
Aug 28, 2003
GB
Hi,

as of last week I can only restore a complete backup session to the local ARCserve server.

I can back up volumes and files off the network, but I can't browse the sessions in the Restore wizard or restore the session to any location other than a local drive on the ARCserve server.

I get an error 'LOGIN WKSTA RESTRICTION' when I attempt to expand the sessions tree in Restore wizard to find a file to restore, or try to browse to a network location to restore a complete session to. This just started happening last Wednesday.

It's local restores only at the moment and a file copy over to the final location. If my boss knew how shakily we are performing with backups he'd have a fit! I'm having a slow, nasty fit as it is. I'm baffled and a little upset: I'm responsible for backups and don't feel in control at all. Does ARCserve do this to everyone?

What could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated.

BF

HI,
my guess would be that your database is corrupted. Have you been running the maintenance utilities on a regular basis? If not you should run them immediately and see just how bombed your database is... If it is hosed beyond fixing you might want to initialize it and start from scratch.

Hi,

I would have to agree with the above assessment. Normally, not being able to see the session details means that are not being merged to the database due to corruption.

Lou

How do I maintain my database? What do you guys consider best practise?

Thanks for answering!

BF

It sounds like there are two different things going on.
1) Trying to expand the view under Restore Source.
"when I attempt to expand the sessions tree in Restore wizard to find a file to restore"

2) Trying to expand the view under Restore Destination.
"or try to browse to a network location to restore a complete session to"

For the second this can make sense if network permissions have been changed putting a restriction on that workstation. For item one it makes no sense since there is no network logon and accessing data for a local backup is the same as a remote.

Perhaps this problem is related to remote management. If you are doing that then try it locally at the backup server itself.

Just to add to some of the comments about AITSD (Arcserve induced Traumatic Stress Disorder)Now officially recognised by the BMA (British medical Association) simptoms are

1)bulging viens in the head (from weeks of worry and destitute anger at trying to get BAB to work)
2)Insomnia , from Sleepless nights worrying if that job realy did run last night
3)cold sweats at the mere thought of trying to restore a enterprise critical database.

Recognised cure : Backup Exec, Lagarto, Tivoli SM, (NT backup reduces the symptoms but liable to return)

Might instrest people to know the complete gas supply for UK is managed by 4 NT servers. All backed up by Brightstor Arcserve. If ya gas suddenly goes off ya know why. Needless to say i am Fully electric.

HMPS (prisons) also, so if ya see hoards of crims roming the streets ya know why.

well hope this wasnt too depressing, and maybe a laugh or two

Update:

I restored the database from an older backup, overwriting the old one. So far it's worked, but I've not learned much about ARCserve.

Thanks for all who helped! This forum is the best thing about ARCserve.

BF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back