Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse LAN through VPN over Linksys BEFSR41 router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronRG

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
WinXP
Linksys BEFSR41 Router
Nortel Contivity VPN Client

When connected via VPN to my corporate network through the router I CAN check email, browse the corporate intranet, etc. I CANNOT browse the network or map network drives.

When I disconnect the router and connect my computer to the cable modem directly, the problem is fixed. I can browse the network and map network drives.

I have already downloaded the latest firmware for the router, set IPSec passthrough to enabled, and forwarded ports 500 and 1723... none of this works.
Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Sounds like your router is set. The router can cause some real grief when trying to make the connection, but once the connection is live, the router is out of the picture.

The fact that you can hit other services suggests that other services are working indicates that routing is working ok across the connection.

I think we're down to a netbios problem. Netbios doesn't move across subnets, so I don't really understand why it works when you are connected directly to the modem. Not really important at this point.

The easiest solution in your case would be to add an lmhosts file to your system. Your lmhost lines should look something like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx computer_name #PRE

One line for each computer for the remote network. Create it with notpad. Search your computer for 'lmhost.sam'. Save your lmhosts file in the same directory. The filename should be 'lmhosts' no period, no extension. You will either have to reboot after you create the file, or open a command window and type 'nbtstat -R' (uppercase R) and press enter.

Give it a try and report back. Good luck!

That doesn't seem to have worked. I still can't map the drives.

Another question... When I open up the command window, I can ping all of the computers (with the host name or the IP address) on the corporate network without a problem. If I can ping them, why can't I map their drives?

Thanks for your help!

Ooooops . . . Forgot . . . too late at night. You need to enable lmhosts lookups. I'm not sure of the exact sequence in XP, don't have one in front of my right now, but you need to get to the properties page for you local area connection (not the vpn). Highlight TCP/IP protocol, and click Properties, then Advanced. Click on the WINS tab and check the box for LMHOSTS lookups. Best to reboot afterwards.

At a command window, type nbtstat -c and press enter. Does the output reflect what you have in your lmhosts file?

AaronRG
Just curious if this resoved your issue as I have a similar problem.

I tried all of this but none of it worked. I have searched all over the place for a way to fix this problem but have found nothing. Let me know if you figure it out!

I had the same problem. An unrelated discussion with a M$FT rep made me realize that kerberos can be affected by incorrect MTU size.

I disabled MTU under the Filters tab, and I have been able to map drives consistently.

Nortel added a EACfilt driver with the 4.6 codebase of the Extranet Client. If you disable the EACfilt driver in the network connection properties, it seems to help.
We have had a similar issue here and it seems to take care of the problem.

Bracer, what is MTU?

>>I disabled MTU under the Filters tab, and I have been able to map drives consistently.

the 2nd phrase sounds very Good! but the 1st, very vagueee... how can i disable MTU?

I have a few users having this Very Annoying and disappointing problem! Help!

You can disable MTU on the Linksys router page... go to this address in your browser:

Click on 'Advanced' -> 'Filters'

At the bottom of the page you will be able to disable MTU. This did not work for me...

Disabling MTU worked for me (and it's still working). However, when I checked with another member of my team having the problem, MTUs were disabled already. He was, however, using old firmware. Once he upgraded to 1.44.2, he was fine.

I should note that this problem surfaced when my Windows 2000 laptops were in the AD forest. With each of them, moving them back into an NT 4.0 domain eliminated the drive mapping problem. It is something specific to the way kerberos uses ICMP.

On the Advanced, Filters tab I have only Block WAN Request, Multicast Pass Through and IPSec Pass Through enabled.

Aaron, i was not able to go the site. not displayed.
What is the website? How can i disable MTU?

doldol,

Do you have a linksys router? If so, that address should take you to the router's setup page.

Hi,
I have a similar problem. This is the scenario: I have DSL and a Linksys BEFW11S4 V.2 router (ver 1.44.2z). I have two PCs , both windows XP connected to the router (one wired and the other wireless).
1)With the wired I can get to everywhere at work using VPN: extranet, internet, LotusNotes, mainframes, instant messages and I can map to different servers available in the network.
2)With the wireless I can get everywhere but mapping to the servers (I get a path not found message). I can ping the servers but i cannot map to any drives at all - no problem with Lotus Notes, Intranet, Mainframes, etc.
Any idea what can be causing this problem? I read somewhere that if the connection is established the problem is not in the router (is that true?).
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

lobo201 -

Are you trying to have both stations connected at the same time? I know that the linksys routers can only handle one vpn running at a time.

First, thanks for your reply.
I had three machines running VPN at the same time before (2 XPs and Win98) but now I have just two XPs. I spoke to someone in my office last week and he mentioned that there might be a problem with VPN and the wireless PC. He has one wireless working with VPN at home (he has a CISCO router and that might be another story but i don't think is the router itself since the connection is established). We have to compare the TCP/IP settings in my and his wireless stations. If I find a solution I'll post it.
Any other suggestions/tips/comments are appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back