Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't break into rommon mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiregobragh

Technical User
Oct 15, 2008
IE
Guys,
I've a 3750-E Series PoE-48 switch, I've put the wrong IOS on it and it keeps rebooting.

I've tried to issue the Ctrl-Break command but it does nothing.

Anyone out there know how to recover from this?

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B. Eng.
Innealtóir/ Engineer

Guys,
I'm struggling here. I put the wrong IOS on my Switch and now it reboots continually, I've tried issuing the ctrl-Break but it doesn't seem to work. Also I downloaded a cisco document that has alternative keystrokes to issue but none of them interrupt the boot, reboot sequence.

Surely this is something that can be resolved.

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B. Eng.
Innealtóir/ Engineer

Have you checked that ctrl-break is actually generating the break signal? Tricky without a breakout box I know. I've had problems in the past with some programs not generatign one or generating too short a break.

Never tried on a 3750-E - it's not one of those which have a method of powering up whilst holding the mode button or something is it?

Peter,
thanks for the tip. I logged a TAC with cisco and they advised to keep the "mode" button pressed while powering on the switch, after approx. 30secs it goes into rommon mode and gives a prompt of SWITCH: which was a bit confusing. From the I formatted the flash, then did a copy xmodem: flash:the new image and once that transfered ( after 40mins ), I did a dir flash: to make sure the image was there, then "boot flash: new image" and it came back to life.

long day but got there in the end.

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B. Eng.
Innealtóir/ Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back