Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Boot Up Pismo G3 Powerbook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBeths

Technical User
Sep 22, 2003
US
Can't Get Newly Acquired Pismo to Boot up.Have tried resetting,have tried leaving plugged in for 24 hours and then trying reset but still would not boot. Suggestions and tips appreciated

When you say it won't boot up, do you mean that absolutly nothing happens or that the screen comes on and nothing else?
Do you get the startup chime?
More info please

on my Wallstreet G3 Powerbook Fn Crtl option Command SHift Powerbutton (some one sure did not want it to be accedental) is a Reset

wait 10 seconds and power up

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

nrb501. Screen is blank, no power up chime, doesn't even sound like power is on. Did check out powercord but that didn't change anything. Removed the keyboard and reset the power manager (red, white and black small cable) and was able to power up. When I put the battery in I lost everything again. All responses and help greatly appreciated macbeths

On the outside end of the battery there is a button with 4 LEDs next to it, if you press the button the LEDs should give an indication of the charge of the battery. If no LEDs illuminate and the laptop boots with the mains supply pugged in but without the battery, then it is most likly the battery is dead - do you know anyone with a known good battery?
The connector you refer to is that for the memory backup battery.
For instructions to reset post 1997 PowerBooks refer to
Shift-Fn (function)-Ctrl (control)-Power for PMU reset is specific to the Wallstreet model.

NRB501, the battery is dead but after booting it once and then reinserting the battery after that initial boot, the unit shut down and it won't boot up at all now. The cable I refer to connects to the PMU (power management unit)

Sounds like you may have fried the Power Supply Card (Apple P/No 661-22286).

If the cable you refer to connects to an oval shaped object just under the DVD drive then that IS the backup battery.

The following is from the troubleshooting section of the Apple Service Source for the Pismo:

Power
Computer won’t
power up
1. Restart computer by pressing the reset button on the back of
the unit. Wait five seconds and press the Power key.
2. Try known-good power adapter.
3. Try known-good, firmly seated, charged battery. Repeat.
4. Connect power adapter and restart computer in 3-4 minutes.
5. Disconnect internal keyboard completely and try powering up
unit. If unit powers up, replace keyboard.
6. Verify microprocessor card is firmly seated.
7. Replace sound card.
8. Replace power supply card.
9. Replace microprocessor board.
10. Replace I/O logic board.

If you haven't already, you could also try removing the battery and disconnecting the internal cable, leave the computer for several hours, then reconnect the internal cable, plug in the power supply, leave for about one hour, then try to start it up - do not attempt to use the main battery though - if you can borrow one off someone else and try theirs.

Is there significant "play" at the plug-in point? One of my Wallstreets required a new sound card (was broken), and when they break, you can't charge the battery or anything. I bought myself several months of extra use by (trial-and-error)wedging an object under the plug (wracking the plug-up/receptacle-downward) so that I could still get a connection, but eventually, that failed too.

BTW, I don't recommend that sort of cord/plug abuse. Sound cards are a weakpoint of the Wallstreet design, may also be an issue with Pismo's - I don't know.

I too have a Pismo that I can't get to boot. It did nothing at first when I turned it on. To fix the problem I reset the system, and then took the keyboard off and disconnected the power management cable for a few minutes, then re-connected it. This fixed the problem partially. Now it boots up to a blank grey screen. When I hold down the option key during bootup, I get four icons on the screen: hard drive icon, a cd icon, a return icon on the left, and an arrow on the right. I have the original recover disk in the cd rom, but when I select the cd icon, the drive spins up and does nothing. Any suggestions on getting past the grey screen of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back