Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBurton

Technical User
Jun 7, 2009
I have a Dell 1U 1750 server running a couple of Hitachi hard drives as a software mirrored raid. C, D, and E partitions are all on the same primary drive which was converted to dynamic. The secondary drive is also dynamic but has no partitions in it except for the ones created by the mirror. Breaking the raid I came out with 2 seperate drives, both dynamic. I can still boot the system from the original C drive but it will not boot from the secondary drive. I tried creating the Fault Boot Floppy Disc and copied the 3 files BOOT.INI, NTDETECT.COM, and the NTLDR as specified in many articles but all I get is an "invalid system disc" warning from the floppy when trying to boot. Anyone know why this isn't working?

Your software raid has probably not copied the master boot record to the secondary drive because it is not able to access the MBR.
kind regards
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back