Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant boot from Zip 100 Scsi on my Mac Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzuszgr8

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
My Umax c603e/240 clone with 4.2 gb. hd scsi id 0 and a 2.1 gb. hd scsi id 2 a 24x cdrom using fwb cd toolkit scsi id 4. I have an Iomega Zip 100 scsi. It wont let me boot from it, if i leave a disk in it regardless if it has a system on it or not it freezes my mac. However if i boot without a disk in it, it will boot fine. Ive change scsi ids to both 5 and six. I turned termination off and on, but to no avail. HELPP!

First, make sure that you know where the end of your SCSI chain is and make sure that only that device is terminated.

I've run into the same problem on my StarMax 603e and it sporadic. One thing that helped was rearranging the order of the SCSI devices. It seems to like some better than others. Again, make sure that only the device on the end of the chain is terminated.

If you are actually tring to use the zip disk as a system drive, you may need to cold boot (start with the computer off) and hold down command, option, shift and delete when the computer sounds it initial "boing". This will bypass the internal drive and boot from the first external media the ROM sees that has a valid system residing on it. The caveat is that no other drives will mount. You'll need to use CDTools, or APS Tools, or Apple's HD Rescue utility to mount the internal hard dirve.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back