Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant boot from cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

amobasse

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hi guys,

We just got us a test box a p630. I am trying to load aix 4.3.3 on it for testing purposes. But for some reason I cant boot from vol 1 4.3.3 cd. I hit 5 or F5 on the keyboard when its at keyboard testing and etc. But no luck. and just hangs and I have 'B11B4690' on the LED.

Any clues?? Havent been able to find what that error code means either. Thank yopu guys in advance..

This is what I found out about the error code. But why cant it found the boot device "the cdrom"

B1xx 4690 Description: Operating system surveillance time out (AIX to service processor interface failure).
Action:
1. This error code indicates that the operating system terminated early (which usually implies an
operating system crash). This error code may appear in the service processor error log by itself.
However, in the AIX error log, another error points to the cause of the operating system crash.
Use the other error as the starting point for your service action.
If the system will not boot to AIX, power off and look at the service processor error log. Look for
error codes (with time stamps that correspond to the boot that was just attempted) that indicate
hardware failures. If these error codes are found, record them, find the error code listed in the
Chapter 5, gError Code to FRU Indexh, on page 197, and perform the indicated actions.
2. The other possibility is that the operating system was not found during a prior boot attempt. To
determine if this occurred, do the following:
a. Look at the AIX error log entry containing B1xx4690. This is a SCAN_ERROR_CHRP
error with an identifier of BFEC0425. Look at the AIX error log entry containing B1xx4690.
This is a SCAN_ERROR_CHRP error with an identifier of BFEC0425.
b. In the detail data, find the string B1xx4690 (If present, it will be at byte 60 of the detail
data.)
c. Go forward 8 bytes after the B1 to byte 68, and look at bytes 68 and 69. If the values of
bytes 68 and 69 are A2B0, this indicates that the firmware was unable to find a bootable
device in the boot list that is set in the SMS menus. If the system is up, the boot list
problem has been corrected and the B1xx 4690 can be treated as an informational
message with no actions required.
3. Call service support.

Check this thread. the p630 doesn't support 4.3.3: thread52-585551. a search on IBM's site seems to confirm it (although they don't come right out and say: can't run 4.3.3.)

Thanks for telling me this and saving me time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back