Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Boot Either Drive after Ghost Clone with Sysprep

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybum

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a dual boot system with Win ME (drive C in windows) and Win XP Pro- NTFS (drive F) on a 120 gig HD. I use an 80-gig drive and Norton Ghost 2002 to clone backups. I discovered I am unable to boot the cloned drive into Win XP (XP hangs on the welcome screen, ME boots fine). I contacted Symantec tech support and was told I should use the MS Sysprep tool before cloning. I used sysprep from the root of my Win XP- F partition with both sysprep.exe and setupcl.exe in the root directory (They were not in a \sysprep directory, and I did not create an .inf file) of F:(XP sysroot). I ran sysprep, cloned after shutdown, shutdown after cloning, removed the source drive, cabled the destination drive as master (cable select) and tried to boot. I got a fatal error message saying the installation was incomplete and to run setup again. I shutdown, removed the cloned drive, put in the source drive as master, and got the same message with boot up.
I tried running XP setup from the installation CD as a repair on both drives but I get an error log after a while that says setup failed to remove the product catalogues and failed to install the product catalogues.

I tried a couple things in the recovery console (fix mbr, renamed sysprep and setupcl) with no help.
At this point I have marked the extended and logical partitions (where XP resides) on the cloned drive as hidden (used Ghost gdisk), and installed Win XP on the primary partition (formerly Win ME) I let windows format it to NTFS. I am rebuilding my system o the 80 gig drive.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to restore proper booting into my system on the source drive, or at least run a successful reinstall? All the files are there ( I slaved it to the new XP install to pull files into new installation). It just keeps going past the boot loader and into XP setup with the same error message.

Can anyone tell me how to clone in the future so that I will be able to boot into XP on the cloned drive? Perhaps the problem was that the source XP partition was designated as F: (made the mistake of booting with the cloned drive still installed a couple months ago) and then reassigned to D: when booting to the clone?

Thanks- BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back