Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant Block Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty78

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US
I cannot....for the life of me....figur out the proper sytax and steps to create a rule that will block attachments (i.e. *.exe|*.vbs|*.bat|*.pif|*.scr)

The manual is no help at all. I have tried to copy their syntax exactly, but the tests constantly fail.

One thing that erks me is this; I can creat a rule in notepad stating check "header", "subject", "body", "from", "to" but I there is not a check for attachments. I have read, in their help file and on their website, that you can block attachments with Body or Header rules. Last time I checked attachments were attachments, the body was the body, and the header was the header. My meaning is that the attachments are not listed with the body or the header. The only way I can see it is the program requires you to make it check in the wrong place for an attachment you want to block. Even if I wrote my own syntax and used an "A" for attachment, if that worked the rule creator requires you to select where the rule applies from a drop down list....which again lists all sectors of mail....aside from the one we all need....attachments.

If anyone out there has accomplished attachment blocking with Imail, please hold my hand through this....-Rob

Here's the solution:

In order to filter some specific attachment, you need to set a rule with "body contains ..."

For example: name=.*\.exe OR name=.*\.scr. Once you set it up, you will not receive any attachment as "*.exe or *.src"

Hope it would help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back