Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't backup system state on one server!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargas71

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
CA
Hi,

I need to backup the System State on the servers, but I can't do it on one particular server...I don't know why...

Unable to attach to \\SERVER2\System?State.
Access is denied.

To Backup or Restore System State, Administrator privileges are required.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\SERVER2\System?State.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This is a remote server...not the backup exec server CPU.

And, the backup exec runs as Admin so it have all the privileges needed...

Can someone help me with that problem???

Thanks in advance!!!

This solution hasn't worked for me yet, but it is suggested a lot in this forum and works for some people:

Open your registry editor and navigate to HKLM\Software\Veritas\BackupExec\engine\NTFS
Look for the "Restrict anonymous support" key and change its value to 1.

Look for the "UseAdCheck" key and change its value to 0.

Reboot the computer and see if that helps anything.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Packdragon hit it just right. One other thing to check is to make sure your remote agent is running with a logon account of local system, and not a domain account.

Good luck.

Kopfjager, I'm wondering what difference it makes to use a local account as opposed to a domain account? I'm not doubting what you say, I'm just trying to understand. Because wouldn't it be a much bigger hassle to do it that way if you have to back up multiple servers? I'd have to create a job for each server and have each one running under a different account. It doesn't sound quite right to me. Anyone else care to comment?

-

I think you misunderstood Pack. Not a local account on each remote server, select the Local System account for Logon as. That is the way that the remote agent runs. Even in 9.0, the remote agent on the media server runs as local system, while the other services run with whatever account you assign when installing.

I think I must've been tired and cross-eyed that day. It makes perfect sense to me now! Thanks for the explanation.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back