Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Backup my DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamminjaymeyer

Programmer
May 23, 2001
US
I seem to be having a lot of problems with this DB.

When I try to do a backup either manual or a scheduled one I get this error:

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\CRData\CRData_db_200305080845.BAK'. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

Anyone seen this?

It worked without space. That is weird because it used to work fine but just all of the sudden quit and I have other DBs on the same server that backup to paths with spaces also.

Very strange. Thanks a lot.

I got this to backup once yesterday but now it is doing the same thing. I have the path with no spaces. Any other ideas.

Errors:

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'D:\SQLBackups\CRData\CRData_db_200305090823.BAK'. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

Internal I/O request 0x39798D90: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x3A410000, Size: 983040, Position: 2710967808, UMS: Internal: 0x103, InternalHigh: 0x0, Offset: 0xA1961600, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x3A410000, m_len: 983040, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 2, BackupFile: D:\SQLBackups\CRData\CRData_db_200305090823.BAK

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [CRData] TO DISK = N'D:\SQLBackups\CRData\CRData_db_200305090823.BAK' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

What is the OS? Which version and Edition of SQL Server? Is the drive (D:) local or remote? Does the drive have sufficient space? Are disk quotas enabled on the drive? Does the backup only fail when run as a job or does it also fail when run from Query Analyzer?

Have you tried using sp_addumpdevice to create the file before backing up to the file?

The backup statment looks OK. It seems that there has to be hardware or permissions problem.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

The OS is Win 2K server with all service packs and hotfixes. Drive D: is local. Yes there is plenty of disk space. No quotas on the dirve. Al the other DB's that are one this server back up to that Directory fine. The transactions logs for the DB in question backup fine. It fails in Query analizer also this is the error it gets from there:

Server: Msg 3202, Level 16, State 1, Line 6
Write on 'CRDataDevice' failed, status = 2. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 6
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I did get this to work one day but now it does not work at all. The T-log backs up fine though.

Differential Backups also work as well as transaction log backups. Just the full backup give the error.

Hi jamminjaymeyer,

I am encountering the same problem. Did you able to fix this full backup problem?

David

Well it works now but I am not sure why it started again. I think it really came down to not having enough disk space we added some more disk space and it seemed to help. It was a pretty big DB and it needed a lot of free space to back up, way more free space than the actual size of the DB which you think would be all that you need.

jamminjaymeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back