Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't backup exchange 2000 databases. Whats wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
GB
First post...
I'm having problems backing up the exchanage databases in exchange 2000. We are using Backupexec 8.6
We have the remote server option installed as well as the exchange option. We can backup individual mailboxes ok but when we attempt to backup the databases we get this...
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\E00.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\priv1.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\priv1.stm - skipped.
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\pub1.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\pub1.stm - skipped.
Unable to open the item \EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\tmp.edb - skipped.

The backup service account has full permissions for the parent folders that these data bases reside on.

Hope somebody can help !

Cheers

Dalek

These are the physical database files on disk. You should skip these as they are open.

The Exchange option will backup the directory and the mailboxes which does the full job for you. Always exclude the mdbdata folder from a backup.

But in doing this is that sufficient in case i need to do a full restore ?

So i shouldn't back up the following ?....

\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\E00.log
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\priv1.edb
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\priv1.stm
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\pub1.edb
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\pub1.stm
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\tmp.edb

Because the exchange plug in does this for me by way of backing up the invididual mailboxes ???

Thanks

Dalek

Exactly. BE goes inside those files and backs them up from inside. Hence you don't need to back them up a second time.

I am also having a problem with the logs building up in
\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA
How how i fix this ? It must be related ????

Cheers

Dalek

Flush logs is on m8

Any other reason why it wouldn't flush them. Or are they generated some other way ?

lots of logs in \exchsrvr\mdbdata

logs are called E00010AB.log etc

:eek:

Dalek

The logfiles are propobly growing because you dont have circular logging in the exchange server enabled.

Is there another way of doing this. I don't want to enable circular logging. Isn't enabling it a bad idea ? (According to microsoft anyway).

Dalek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back