Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't back up Windows Server OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolasete

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
US
i've discovered that all the machines on my network running some sort of server os - nt 4.0 server and 2000 server are not available to be backed up. they are all grayed out at the selection screen.

i tried installing remote agent on all of them as suggested but it made no difference. does anyone know if this is some licensing restriction on using the program on server os's, or i am overlooking something here?

the remote agent needs to be installed on the remote servers by the backup exec installer, then you should be able to connect to them from the master server [the one with the backup device]

I did this, installing the agent on win2k servers and XP workstations, and it worked fine.....

cheers,
Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

You need to push out the remote agent from the Backup Server to the remote server (as previously mentioned) The remote agent service needs to be running on the remote server.
You need to install the remote agent key into Backup Exec setup program. One key per remote server. Keys are purchasable.
Remote Workstations do not require a key to backup

actually i installed the remote agent on the servers as well but it absolutely did not work - they still appear grayed out. i'm unable to install the agent on the backup server itself. it gives some message about backup exec already being installed.

i'm thinking i need two serial numbers for the backup server - one for the back up program and one for the remote agent. not sure on this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back