Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Assign Value to this Object - INCONSISTENT error

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaS

Programmer
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a Simple Database with a parent and child form.

2 tables - parent and child, with ref integrity enforced. I am getting an inconsistent error upon typing the first value into the subform record:

You can't assign a value to this object.
*The object may be a control on a read-only form.
*The object may be on a form that is open in Design view.
*The value may be too large for this field.

This does not happen every time, and in fact, once I hit okay, subsequent entries on different master records and their subs, do not produce the error.

I do not have any code connecting the two forms, I simply drag/dropped the table/form to the master. When the error originally occurred, the child linked field did not get populated from the master form which left the records orphaned. as a fix, I defaulted the child field value to the parent to prevent the orphan record scenario and this seems to help that issue, but I cannot track down why I am getting the error in the first place.

At this point because it is inconsisten, I am tempted to just disable the error from popping up - I can't find any info in the forums or elsewhere as to what might be causing this (aside from the things I know are not the issue).

any ideas?

just some additional info - it's access 2007 and the only default value I had set originally on the subform was a date field. I removed that setting to test it, and still get the error.

here are the only fields on the subform/table:
id - autonumber
fldchangesid - number (this is the field linked to the master)
fldchangehandled - yes/no set as a checkbox on the form
fldchangehandlednotes - memo this is the first field to get the focus and the first in the tab index
fldhandledby - this is a text field in the table, and a combo field on the form

Really is not complex and no code behind the subform at all except for a set focus I added for the memo field after all of this started happening (trying to find a resolution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back