Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant add my windows 7 pc to my domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy8

Systems Engineer
Nov 2, 2019
GB
hi guys,

only just joined, hope everyone is ok.

i am currently studying mcsa and i am stuck on adding a pc to my domain.

i have installed virtualbox on my laptop and have installed windows server 2016, have set it up to be my domain and dns server. have created static ip address and put the primary dns as my server ip address.

did the ipconfig /dns, ipconfig /registerdns and dcdiag /v. most of it came as succeeded.

on my client and i have created a static ip and put teh server ip as my dns also.

whenever i try to change the domain to contoso.com, it comes back as error, saying something like this operation returned because the timeout period expired.

hope someone can help me get past this please

many thanks

Are the clocks on server/client within 5 minutes of each other?

Domain rename....

"dcdiag /v. most of it came as succeeded", that is like saying I fixed my car tire flat most of the way.

Run Dcdaig /v correct any errors
Run NetDiag /v "

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

thank you for the reply.

all clocks are the same.

i will try the dcdiag again now

If the clients DNS server address is pointing to your DC then you should be able to resolve the FQDN of the DC and also simply ping your domain name.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back