Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Add More Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
US
Our small office network has ten PCs and one server all running Win2K pro. The server has 10 user accounts set up.
When trying to add a new user account I got a message saying that it was not possible to add anymore accounts.

Is this because all of the systems including the server are using FAT32 instead of NTFS?

Is there a limit setting somewhere that can be changed?

2k Pro has a 10-user limit. If you need more than 10 accounts, you're looking at an upgrade to 2k Server. It's been that way since NT and probably always will be, and I'm not aware of any way that you can change it in 2k.

The 10 limit is on number of connections, not number of user accounts you can set up (I can set up more than 10 on 2k pro machine no problem - running ntfs. Can't see why Fat32 should interfere with that). Sounds like a registry entry. Is it true on all machines (eg, just try setting up > 10 accounts on one of 'workstations').

Yep good spot - been asked the 10-connections question so many times I put words in your mouth there pfizzle ;)

The file system shouldn't make any difference at all to the amount of accounts stored. I'm certainly not aware of anything in the core that specifies a difference.

What was the exact error message you got?

I'm running NTFS, so I can't check, but I'm betting FAT32, which I've heard is less secure than NTFS, is the issue. Perhaps Microslop has this limitation. If you can convert to NTFS, try that (do a backup first) and see if it allows more accounts. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

The gentlemen above are correct on the user limitation of 10 "concurrent" connections. I am not sure as to whether FAT 32 would make a differnce versus NTFS, but switching over would be an easy task to see if it worked. It is also a more secure file system.

You can convert to NTFS from a command promt within W2K if you want, without purchasing a 3rd party app.

Go to Start/Run type cmd then enter to open a command promt box.

Your command to do the convert would be typed in at the command prompt and look something like:

convert C: /FS:NTFS /V

The computer will tell you it can't do it jsut then, but will ask if you want to perform this on next boot. Answer yes, and reboot. It will take care of it for you.

And as always, make a fresh backup before performing this function. Good luck, and Happy Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back