Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add additional Domain controller - win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwtakahas

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
I have one win2k server which is a Domain controller, It is running perfectly. However, I am having a problem adding another server.

When I run the active directory (DCPROMO) wizard, I select to add "additional Domain Controller for an existing domain."

Then it asks for a username / password and enter domain of network account you wish to us for this operation. I enter the domain administrator and password. I get a response back saying:

The wizard cannot gain access to the list of domains in the forest. This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For more the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Users can see the shares I set up on this new server, but don't have permissions to access the shares. When I go to the permissions, it only gives me the option to add local accounts, not domain accounts to the shares.

I'm new to Active Directory, and not sure how to apply domain accounts to this server. I'm assuming setting it up as an additional domain controller should take care of this, but how do I go about this? Your feedback would be appreciated.

The new server - has it got a static ip with the DNS pointing to the other server. The other server should only be pointing DNS to itself.

Ash.

Yes the new server has a static IP address and is has the Domain controller as it's primary dns address.

One more thing to add. I just took the new server off of the domain - via the system control panel. When trying to add it again, I am getting an error saying that I can't add because the credentials I supplied (domain admin) conflict with an existing set of credentials. What???

You've got a drive mapped to the server. Disconnect any mappings/shares etc.

Ash.

Ash,

thanks for your help. I disconnected the share, then rejoined the domain and bingo... I can now add domain users to my shares on the new server!

thanks!
michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back