Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Add A Printer...PLEASE HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Dec 14, 2000
US
I am close to doing a header off of the roof of our office building and I see no end to the madness. I have a user that is running a new laptop with a brand new image and we can't get a printer to add. If you click "Add A Printer" it does nothing. If you click run and double-click on the printer name straight off the print server it won't install either. There is some software on this laptop that makes it where we can't re-image it. I am praying that someone out there has seen this and knows how to resolve it. He is running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest and greatest updates.

Thanks In Advance!!!!!

Is this part of a domain? Are users allowed to add printers or possibly prevented by a policy?

Has someone with admin rights tried to add a printer?

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thank you so much for responding. This PC is part of a domain and each user is set up as an admin on their PC. I have full domain access and I am also unable to add a printer.

Thanks In Advance!!!!

I know this is basic but bear with me and double check youself.

Do you know the IP address of the net printer?

Can you ping it from this PC?

Check this for assigning the port: should be tcp/ip

Post back with results

Using the wizard

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Is the printer being shared from another PC, or is it connected to a print server?

If it's directly attached to a PC in the domain, then make sure that workstation has Simple File Sharing disabled:

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options.
3. On the View tab, make sure the "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" check box is unchecked.

Check the security tab under the printer's properties to make sure the users in the domain have access to install it.

Also make sure the PC you are trying to add it to also has "Simple File Sharing" disabled. This setting should only really be used in a workgroup.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

IF the printer is attached to another pc (NOT a server), is your user also a user on the pc where the printer is connected?

I ran into the same problem this past week, altho the 2 OS are WinNT. Once I added the user to the pc where the printer is, the connection was done without further problems.

PRPhx,
Yes, that sometimes helps in a workgroup environment (though there are other alternatives to adding the user account locally).

However, in a domain, all you should need to do is verify the security settings of the shared printer, making sure that the user (or group the user belongs to) is listed from the domain as having access.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Ok...I am able to ping the printer and we are not having any issues with the print servers. I can't see the port info since it won't allow me to add a printer in any way shape, form, or fashion.

The printer is attached to the print server and everyone can add any printer their heart desires but this one is not able to. Almost like the registry is hosed on this particular part but I have no idea where these registry options are.

Thanks!

Oh, OK. I suppose I didn't understand the situation completely the first time around.

So there's only one PC that's having the issue, where clicking on "Add a printer" does nothing, and it doesn't matter who's signed onto that PC, right?

If that's the case, then it definitely sounds like an issue with a service such as "print spooler" or a local policy conflict.

~cdogg

I stopped and started the print spooler to no avail and the only local policy is security based. Are there any registry keys that I am import that might fix this?

Can you browse to the computer and see the printer? Just double-click on it to add it.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

Me too facing similar problem.
One workstation can't show printer or on add printer wizard
nothing responds.
Its on domain & all printers on network already installed on workstation.
I restart spooler service no luck
still can print or can see list of installed printers from application.
only can't change the properties or set default printer.

-Mal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back