Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant activate Write Cache. Do i need SPS replacement batteries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewitz

Technical User
May 6, 2005
DE
hello
i have an FC4500 one of the SPS is orange and doesn't get into green. Is that the reason i can't activate the write cache? is there a easy way to get replacement batteries, which spezification do they need. i think it it is a 800w supply!
thx
kewitz

To get write cache, you need dual sp, same memory in each sp, and at least 1 sp with no errors. ( Fully charged) You must also have slots 0 to 8 populated. No empty spaces.

hello thats what i have. i have dual sp, memory in each sp is the same, but what means 1 sp with no errors. one sps is green all slots are populated too. one sps is yellow.

the funny thing is without sps the write performance under atto benchmark is about 40-60 mbsec, with the sps it is 15mbsec, read is about 90mbsec.
do you know the specification of the batteries, to replace them in a cheaper way?
here is navi cli output.

C:\Programme\EMC\Navisphere CLI>navicli -d \\.\SCSI5:0:1:1 getcrus -spsa
DPE Enclosure 0 *FAULT*
(Enclosure 0 : Faulted; Enclosure 0 Power A : Faulted)
Enclosure 0 SPS A State: Empty

C:\Programme\EMC\Navisphere CLI>navicli -d \\.\SCSI5:0:1:1 getcrus -spsb
DPE Enclosure 0 *FAULT*
(Enclosure 0 : Faulted; Enclosure 0 Power A : Faulted)
Enclosure 0 SPS B State: Present

C:\Programme\EMC\Navisphere CLI>

hello seems that one power supply is not working, perhabs it is not conneced or not powered on. i have the check the connectors. will come back tomorrow. but anyway do you know the specification of the replacement batteries. thx kewitz

There are 4 batteries in the case. Panasonic batteries seem to work the best. I'd just open the case up and check the specs right off the battery. Always remember to be very careful around power of any kind. Would n't want you to have a shocking experience. That said, I've had these units open. The batteries are connected by spade lugs and very easy to change. -- if you have an sps disoconnected, you should take the two plugs that your remove from the sps and put them together so that the power supply will work.

hello do you know where i get the batteries. thx kewitz

hello how many do i need in one sps?

hello i have to open mine too, to check if it is 6v here in germany too (we have 220v) i suppose it is 6v but i will check. the sps are in a emc rack are they easy to drag out of the rack? do i have to drag them to the front or the back? thx kewitz

They are easy to remove. Unplug the two ac connectors and the monitor plug. Remove 4 screws on the left (or right) and 4 screws in the center. There may be two screws holding the unit in the front (behind the cover). But since this is an 800w sps, I don't believe you will find any screws in front. The unit should slide out the back. If this is mounted in the original cabinet, it is possible that the corner welds on the cabinet will not allow you to slide the unit out all the way. If that is the case, you will either need to remove the DPE from the cabinet or modify the cabinet to remove the sps. I have 7 cabinets like that are like that. If you have to remove the dpe, two screws in the front , two in the back and take the cables off. It should slide out the front.

by the way in which plug do i have to plug the serial cable into the monitor plug or the sps plug? thx kewitz

The RJ-6 plug goes right next to the on / off switch on the SPS. The DB-9 plug goes into the SPS port on the Storage Processor.

hello there a two rj-6 plugs one with sps and one with a monitor sign, i am using the one with sps and i works very good writing performance under atto benchmark raid 5 70mbsec and reading 98 mbsec. one of the sockets wasn't pluged so i fixed that this morning. i will use powerpath do increase the performance. do you have the compatibilty matrix of emc? thx kewitz

That information is probably public access on the EMC.com or thru EMC's powerlink website.

I just bought 4 replacement batteries (listed as replacement for both the Yuasa and the Panasonic) from batterywholesale.com for $11.75 each, plus 9.95 shipping from Texas to CA. So for $56.95, I will refurbish one of my 2 SPS units that has recently stopped coming up green.

I was going to buy 8 and refurb both, but the second is running OK at the moment.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back