Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Activate Windows XP on Genuine PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

My step-mother's PC died on her, so she brought it to me to fix, turned out it needed a new mobo, which I fitted and now it boots.

However, I am now stuck in an infinite loop unable to get the machine to work, because it wants to activate before it will log onto the desktop.

The machine won't activate online, apart from not sure if the activation servers work anymore for XP, the new mobo has a network adapter I am unable to install as I can't boot into Windows!

Safe-mode appears to be non-existent as F8 doesn't provide a boot menu?

So I rang the MS activation number, spent ages going through the usual BS entering all those number, to be refused activation.

So I rang back to speak with a real person, who ran me through the same process to finally tell me they can't help and I had to go on the MS website to report counterfeit software.

I explained this isn't counterfeit, it is a legitimate Packard Bell computer bought from PC World Milton Keynes ten years ago, has a genuine license key sticker on the side and I take offense to the insinuation.

They told me that even though it is legit I have to go to he MS website and fill in a counterfeit request, and then someone from MS will contact me within 5 days and activate the software.

Has MS gone insane? There must be another way to get the PC up and running again?

It is criminal MS stopping the computer from working and refusing to activate genuine software on a genuine PC, bought and paid for with genuine hard earned cash!

Your advice is appreciated.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Unless you changed the motherboard for an identical duplicate (same make and model) from an identical Packard Bell (same exact model), the key code on the side is no longer valid, as the computer is now in terms of Windows licensing no longer an OEM machine, and as such Windows XP OEM cannot legally be installed nor activated on it.

Your best bet, is to go out and buy a retail copy of Windows. Does it absolutely need to be XP? XP is no longer supported. It may be batter to install Windows 7 Home or at worse Vista.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

under OEM you are entitled to purchase a replacement motherboard akin to the closest replacement possible, which is what I have done, it had a Gigabyte mobo in it and the only one now available that is socket 775 , DDR2 and Pentium D processor is the one I purchased from eBuyer at a lot more money than current cheap mobo's due to age of components.

No breach in license has been made, it is simply a replacement mobo for a broken piece of hardware.

It's not worth putting Windows 7 on the machine the specification is very low and not worth spending money on it.

I recommended they replace the computer some time ago, but they don't want to.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

akin to the closest replacement possible
Not close enough kin. Vacunita is correct. I've seen matches (motherboard transplants) that were not quite as strict as Vacunita said that DID work, but you never know until you actually try it.

Has MS gone insane? There must be another way to get the PC up and running again?
No and No. They have moved on from XP and they want everyone else to as well. I think you're stuck unless Microsoft will help.

Did you use the key code off the side of the computer when it asked for the key code?
Are you sure you used the correct version of the XP CD when installing to match the type on the C.O.A.?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Actually, you may have fallen foul of the SLP activation problem.

I'd suggest that the original Packard Bell installation of XP was activated by System Locked Pre-installation (SLP). The "license key sticker on the side" was for those emergency situations where you could not use SLP to reactivate. Unfortunately this actually provided an unexpected loophole for pirates, so Microsoft, in their wisdom, in 2005 started invalidating the COA OEM keys used by the top 20 worldwide PC makers. So that would explain why the phone activation thinks the key is illegal - it is, in the sense that Microsoft made it so ... and presumably, now that XP is out of support, they no longer have any procedures in place to allow the activation staff to verify that the COA is, in fact, not illegal.

The best bet, is to get as close to the original MB as possible. When deviating things like this happen.

However, strongm is correct. The thing is, whether or not you are entitled to activate Windows XP, to get this activated now you will have to work with Microsoft telephone support.

Microsoft said:
In order to reduce a significant source of piracy, Microsoft has disabled online activation for COA Keys that are attached to PCs that have been pre-activated by OEMs. This change should have a minimal impact on licensed users who generally do not use their COA Key to activate the software because it has been pre-activated by the OEM. However, if a licensed end user needs to activate because the OEM pre-activation does not work as expected (e.g., after the replacement of a defective motherboard) they can do so via phone-based activation.

If MS is requiring you go through the process as if it were a Counterfeit copy then that is what you need to do.

There will be no other way to activate XP.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

They have moved on from XP and they want everyone else to as well.

I couldn't care what MS have done, they have no right to stop someone's PC from working that was purchased legitimately with a valid licence for Windows and doing so is criminal in my book!

Did you use the key code off the side of the computer when it asked for the key code?
Are you sure you used the correct version of the XP CD when installing to match the type on the C.O.A.?

Yes, key from sticker, and there is no disk to install from, there was no install of the OS performed, this was a pure mobo replacement due to failing component, the PC simply died and I replaced the mobo with the only replacement available.

Anyway, moan over as I have managed to fixed it :)

...well with the help of the kind folks over on SW via this old thread I found :-
Stupid MS drive me nuts, so many problems getting genuine MS software activated, when will this nightmare end? When we stop using MS software I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back