Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access webpage from intranet using IE. But Netscape works great

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthcali

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
US
I am using Internet Explorer 5.5

I can't access our home page from my company's intranet using IE. But when i use Netscape, it works great.

I just switched computers. My old computer could access the intranet just fine using IE.

But this new one gives me a "This page cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error" when I try to access it in IE.

Anyone know why?

thanks,
ruth ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

hello

check your proxy settings, you should check it in netscape and see if it's there.

and if it is then you have to add it to netscape..

try to ping the intranet..

ping (ip address of intranet)

get any response?

Hui

Hi Hui! Thanks for writing.

Sorry for the many questions, but how do i check proxy settings and how do i ping the internet? ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

I guess I should have mentioned... i can access other web sites using IE. But just not the home page of our company's intranet.

ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

hi ruthcali

what type of os are u using?

also how are you trying to access the site?

type nslookup
type the name of your intranet server
that will split out the ip address

then enter that ip address in your webpage.

nslookup is only on windows nt and 2000..if you have 98
type ping (webserver)

like ping it will show you the ip address too.

to check proxy server it should be in netscape's edit -> perferences -> advanced -> proxy

is that filled out?

if it is then you have to add it to your ie...

-> tools -> internet options -> connections

somethings a reboot helps too...

Hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Hi Hui,

Sorry, more questions.

i am using Windows98. where do i type 'ping
i tried in the address bar on IE, but i got auto.search.msn.com.

How can i find out the name of my intranet server?

I went to Netscape, Edit, Preferences, and got this message: Unable to load the preferenc dlls. Please re-install Netscape Communicator. (what's the difference between Netscape Communicator and Netscape Navigator)?

sorry for all the many questions.... :)

ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

Hi

Netscape Navigator is just the browser and Netscape Communicator has the browser, the email thing, composer and the rest..

you suppose to type that in the dos-prompt.

click on start -> run and then type command

hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Good morning!

How can i find out the name of my intranet server?

I went to Netscape, Edit, Preferences, and got this message: Unable to load the preferenc dlls. Please re-install Netscape Communicator.

do i really have to re-install it? ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

I have just about the same problem as well!!!

I am using IE 5.5 SP1 (version 5.50.4522.1800 SP1 q290108; 9283908) on Windows 2000 with SR1.

I am dialing up to my ISP. Problem is, occasionally (can't pin down how/when/why), IE5.5 display the following error whist Netscape 4.77 could browse the same page just fine!!
Code:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The .....
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Strangely, sometimes, I could see the top 10% or so of the page loaded (including the image), and then suddendly the above error pops up!

I checked NSLookup from command prompt and confirmed that it is using my ISP's DNS server.

Note I also have a network card installed on my PC for connecting to another PC at home, but there are no DNS entries for the network card. Anyway, my NSLookup check suggests that my ISP's DNS server is being used whilst I am dialling up (if not, even Netscape should fail)!

Any reasons what is going on??

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

When using Netscape, I can access my intranet with no problem. But if I use IE it doesn't work at all. I get the same message as those above.

I have the info correctly in my hosts file and I can ping it o.k. from DOS.

I have entered the 'bypass' info in IE and also in the 'intranet sites' in IE.

I am using a dial-up connection and this is my home network.

I think the only thing left I haven't tried, is a reboot.

Please Help!

tgus

Oh, yeah!

I forgot to mention. If I enter the ip address in IE, it also doesn't work.

Any ideas?
tgus

Somebody must have some idea?

I'm trying not to set up dns here. I don't need it for anything else. And I don't know if it would help anyway.
tgus

Can someone show me a link where I can find an answer?
tgus

What can I say? Snap. I have looked high and low on the web for the solution to this to no avail. To add to the rest of the errors, I also get a msn "We can't find..." error when trying to load a page. I am using ie6 with SP1 though, not 5.5. If I get any info, I'll let you all know!

O.k. Here's the answer. (for me anyway)

In ie, Tools/Internet Options/Connections

At this point at work (we've always had a T1 to connect with) I've always clicked on 'LAN Settings'.

In there is where I have always set all of my proxy settings and 'Bypass proxy server for local addresses'

Today I realized all of this same type of info is in 'Settings' for your 'Dial-up' provider.

I added these changes for my 'Dial-up' Settings. Rebooted ie and now it works.

I understand my mistake now.

Thanks all who tried to help. tgus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back