Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't access web from local computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximos

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
CA
Greeting all

here is the scenario, i have a win2000 server (not a domain controler) that has a web server on it, which has about 3 web site hosted on it, my problem is , i can't access any of these web from any local workstation , even the server iteslf, but these web are accessible from the interent no problem, in addition to this, if i use a dlink router , the web works , if i use a different router eg, companq (wireless) , won't work , any idea, ??

note, same setting on both router, is there any other setup i could do so i could have access locally just like an internet user ?

Thanks in advance
max

Check the subnets on the network. You know, do a Ip release/renew. And make sure the GPO is allowing you access.

well,... you made a mix of them in your question.

First, I understand that you have a webserver, ina corporate network that can be accessed from the internet... to do this,, there are few ways. What's the way you are doing this? NAT?
How many interfaces has the webserver? Just one, and then,.. a router somewhere in the network is making NAT?
What about name resolution? Are you trying to access your webserver from internal network via IP address or via name?
How is your DNS configured?

To understand better what I', talking about, have a look in the article "The relation between internal DNS and external DNS" from my site.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Thanks for the reply so far,
i did a release renew, everything seems ok,
ip address is 192.168.0.any#
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway = my router ip
dns server = my isp dns #1
my isp dns #2

but for some reason, the router is not allowing me to resolve any local name, i have feeling something to do with the dns, but why on certain routers it works and some doesn't, ?

even when i type in the ip address in the brower, still give me a blank page, could it be any additional setting in the router, ?
ps i 'm using apache as my web server on windows 2000 server

any more clues ?

one more thing, i could ping the domain name, with the correct ip address, but from the browser won't work

Hi I had the same problem.
The reason you cannot access your web sites by IP address is because your web server does not know what site you want to look at. You need an DNS server to make the name to IP request for you.

IF your sites were , and you would need to create an forward lookup for ech one on your DNS server. The format for each lookup would be google.com, yahoo.com and artbell.com.

Then within each of these forward lookup zones you have to make an Host entry called within the properites for each one you will have the ip address of your web server.

This will not work until you do a reboot on your DNS server.

You should then be able to access your web sites by name.

Hope this helps.

Nobberirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back