Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Access Wan from LAN after Cable Modem Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

illdill2

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2008
My ISP came in recently and installed a new cable modem. This new one includes a router interface as well as the cable modem. I used to have a netgear router. I had to remove it from the loop to get my server live (to the WAN) again. But now I cannot access the server from the LAN through the WAN. This is necessary for editing websites and retaining the correct path among other reasons.

My question is, how can I configure the new Cable modem/router to pass the internet connection to my original netgear router so that I can once again access my WAN from inside the LAN? If I disable DHCP on the new modem/router, my netgear router won't get a connection to it.

I believe that the netgear router is capable of NAT loopback and the modem/router is not as the netgear router worked fine with the previous cable modem.

Thanks,

Tim

Without knowing manufacturer and model of this new cable modem/router it's a little hard to offer advice...

Presumably you have access into it via the usual web interface. I'd initially suggest making a note of all the settings as put in by the ISP. Then do a comparison (as far as they go) with those of your Netgear, before you start making any alterations. etc.

Unless this new cable modem/router is severely lacking in features, then I'd have expected it to allow all the machines on your LAN to work together and onto the Internet as previously, without the need to add the Netgear as well.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

The model is an SMC 8014. I have it configured through the web based interface to allow access through the WAN to the server(DMZ).

Port rules enabled to

Allow HTTP on 80 and 81
Allow TELNET on 8080

I can remote desktop connect to the server and I can view all sites from outside the LAN.

So you've given the DMZ in the router the (static) IP Address of the server, right?
Are other machines on the LAN using static or dynamic IPs in the same sub-net range as the server?
Is the Mask exactly the same for all machines? If you slip and put 255.0.0.0 when you meant 255.255.0.0 for instance, that'll stop it working!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back