Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Access the expanded portion of my Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrellm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2009
US
We currently have a 1TB drive on our Windows 2003 Server, that we've been using for a while. We needed additional space, so I decided on expanding that drive with a 2TB space on our AX150. Once it expanded, I reassigned it back to the server, but the server doesn't see it as one logical volume. It shows the original 1TB, and the new TB, which is fine, I can deal with having two drives. The 1TB is still intact, however the problem is that Windows won't let me access the new 2TB drive in Disk Management. I won't let me assign a drive letter, nor did the "Intialize Disk" wizard show up. What am I doing wrong? I did reboot a few times.

Just discovered the answer, I just needed to right click on the DISK6 on in Disk Management and select Covert to Dynamic Disk, once I did that I could expand and select the other drive in Windows. So, basically had to tell Windows to expand it, even though I expanded it on the SAN.

Or you could have opened diskpart from the command like, selected the disk and use the expand command to make the drive bigger.

There shouldn't have been any need to take the disk away from the server. Adding space is an online operation.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back