Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN'T ACCESS SERVER VIA SERVER NAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark94411

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hello all,
I have a Linux 9 server. the server is running samba and oracle great. My issue is that I can only get to the server from other machines via IP. I can ping from my pc by ip but by name it gives me "unreachable host" error. I have added the machine name and ip to the etc/host file. I also put in the correct dns that I use on my network. Any one knows what IAm doing wrong? My linux server shows up by name in my pc network neighborhood.

many thanks in advaced

Below is a copy of part of my smb.conf file on one of my machines. I'm guessing that you are laking about it being unreachable from Windows via Samba. You'll need to configure the Samba Server for an NT workgroup or domain, I use a workgroup and also assign it a netbios name. The netbios name is the name that the other computers use to access it.

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
workgroup = SCARS
netbios name = LACKEY

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = Samba Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back