Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Access Internet after making Dial-up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgettec

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
US
Running Win NT40 SP6 - When I dialup my ISP the connection is made but I can not access the internet through IE6 or send receive e-mail through Outlook or connect to my accounting server through Reflection. I can do all these things when I use my network connection. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Are all these programs set up to use the LAN access to the internet - so they're not aware of the dial-up connection? What does ie's options connections tab show?

Earthlink is set as default connection with "never dial a connection" chosen - the LAN setting box is checked to auto detect setting

Thats about it on the IE tools connection tab

Could try a repair or IE (from add/remove programs)
Could try another browser (eg, Opera) to see if it looks like a general browser issue or its IE specific. I've had essentially exactly the same setup as you're using on this machine and never had a problem with it (dial-up connection established before LAN though - don't know which way round yours was set up). When you try to use the dial-up - I take it you're not connected to the LAN?

dial-up connection was established before LAN and i dont think its related to the browser - i think its has something to do with the way the RAS connection is set up - think i will try to reload RAS but i dont know what putting the machine on a LAN would have done to this

Try checking your dial up config, set the authentication to clear text.

If I'm reading into this correctly, you dial-up to the internet then establish a VPN connection (point-to-point tunnel) to the RAS server on your network. Is that correct?

If so, disable the "use default gateway on remote network" setting on the "PPP TCP/IP" configuration page for your VPN connection.

With this setting enabled, all network traffic will be routed through the VPN to the remote network server, including DNS requests for internet IP addresses. This may be blocked by the RAS server, or may simply take too long to process before your PC stops waiting and displays an error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back