Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access external hdu on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkm0910

Technical User
Dec 4, 2008
I added a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 gig external hard drive to a pc running Windows XP Media Center. I can use the hard drive on that pc, but even though I have shared the folders on the drive with complete access for all lan users, I can't use the drive from other computers on my home lan. I can see the folders from the other computers, but I can't read from or write to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What errors do you get? Describe how you set up the network, I.E. vlans or same subnet, what switch/router, wireless, same Windows workgroup name, etc. Also, have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard in Windows? Are the other PCs Windows as well? Did you actually map the drives or just set the share attributes, and type

\\server\share

in the run box?

What happens in the cmd prompt when you do attrib filename? Are RW attributes set? What happens when you RDC into the server?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back