Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canot view web sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi all,
I know someone with who is having this kind of problem. When he opens Internet explorer, he always get the message, 'the page cannot be displayed.' He is trying to open 'My Space' which is his home page.

He can open up Charter.com and Charter.net which is the web site of his ISP provider. he cannot open Google, yahoo, msn or anything else at all.

Does anyone know what is the problem with this? I did have him go into Internet Options and under the advanced tab, and had him restor his advanced settings to default with no luck. he is hooked up using a modem only.

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

Have you had him try to ping or tracert any of these sites to see if and how far the packets are making it?

Joey
A+, MCP

Only a guess, but when he is connected to the internet have you tried an IPCONFIG /ALL command & checked that the DNS servers are correct. I am problably on the the wrong track, but you never know.

would think the problem lies with dns servers at his isp. contact isp in first instance

Laters, phat, headshape

After trying a few more things with him, I learned that there are two computers in the house, and one of them is working just fine. but his just doesn't work.
I'll have him do a ping and see where it goes, and I'll also try to checkout his IP addresses to make sure that they are ok as well.
Please let me know if you can come up with anything else.

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

If there are two PC's are they connecting through the same modem? Is this a dial up (56k) or ADSL modem?

They are connected separately through a 56k modem. Sorry for leaving that bit of info out.

Jediwarrior

Make sure that he hasn't assigned himself a static IP address on that modem connection. I don't expect so, but you never know. The TCP/IP setting should be set to obtain both the IP address & DNS servers automatically. If these are not correct this could cause problems.

Hi all,
I need to take back what I said about their modems being seperate, actually they are both using the same modem and only one of them doesn't work.

Still needing help with this one. Thanks

Jediwarrior

I have some more information about what is going on. I talked to the person that is having the problem and this is what I found.
There are two computers that are hooked up to one modem, and there is a cable that runs from the modem to the computer that doesn't work. I had him remove the cable from the modem and his computer and plug them back in,(didn't work). I had him go into 'ipconfig' and all the ip addresses are there. He can view the web page of his isp provider only and no other web sites.
I had him go into the system properties and then device manager. He has no modem listed in the device manager. What would the phone line be plugged into? shouldn't it be the modem on his computer? He is not wireless. I'm pretty well stumped on this.

I really need some help on this one.
Thanks,
Jediwarrior

If he has two machines connected to one modem, it sounds a rather strange arrangment. An external modem would normally connect to one machine via a serial cable or USB. If it is USB you may be able to use a suitable splitter, but I have never tried this.
If he has no modem drivers on his machine how is he dialing up? Are you sure that he hasn't got one machine connected to the other via an ethernet cable & the other machine dials the modem connection?
If he has an internal modem, he would be better off using that & connecting the phone line directly to the phone socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back