Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canon copier/printer & NDPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
I have installed millions of NDPS printers, but never have struggled as much as I have with a certain kind of Canon Printer/Copier in a NW 6 environment.

It is an iR3320i, and LPD is enabled (I can see this ifno from the Web Interface page on the printer). I have used both Novell Gateway (my preferred method) and the Canon gateway and can't get the printer agent to communicate with the printer. When using the Novell gateway, I get console errors "Error: Port handler failed LPR begin job initialization.". I have tried configuring it with 'PRINT' and 'PASSTHROUGH' and they both result in the same error.

Has anyone dealt with this and how did you get around it? This is a NW6SP4 server.

Thanks.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

is it using the canon's own network card?

most of our canon's we have gave up - slapped a jet direct box onto it and then ndps using the novell gateway (like yourself - my preference) - 2 mins and works - with there own - 2hours and still nothing

we do have a ir but not sure which one - can check

The kicker here is that I can't even seem to make it work with the canon gateway. their documentation is horrible and impossible to get straight. i have seen other posts with similar issues and similar frustration.

I never worked with NDPS so it's hard to say anything about it. But I have an IR2200-3300 (not in the office for exact model) servicing a traditional print queue with the Canon Print Server. Took 5 minutes to config and work like a champ.

Martin

I worked with a Canon service provider and we went through and made some changes to the printer, disabled some things.. and then hard-rebooted it. That seemed to do the trick for the time. But the problem seems to come back intermittently so they are replacing the NIC in the printer to see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back