Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot view someone else's personal list view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2002
US
I'm confused, when you create a Personal view of a list in Sharepoint, there is text next to it that says 'Personal Views are intended for your use only. However, if given the correct URL, others may use, modify or delete your personal view.', yet someone created a personal view, sent me the URL and I received a 'cannot complete this action' error.

Can we view someone else's personal view? We want to allow our users to create their own views, but not public views because the list of links on the side will get huge.

You cannot view someone else's personal view. The url is unique to your id.

There was once where I sent someone my personal view URL and it seemed to be working, but in the long run he couldn't access my personal views and I couldn't access his.

Allow the user to create their own personal views would only work if they have the appropriate access to do so. They would have to create it when logged in as themselves.

I found this on another forum ( to explain what sharepoint had about personal views:

"Although the Create View page says personal views can be shared, it is not true. My understanding (from doing a lot of searching myself) is that the text in this particular user interface is wrong, and Microsoft is supposed to correct it in a future release, at which time it will state that you cannot share personal views with others. "

Hope this helps!

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back