Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Validate to Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
Our environment is
Winnt 4.0 with Service Pack 6
Dell Windows 2000 laptop with docking station.

Server is running Exchange 5.5
Dell was setup and WAS WORKING with MS Outlook 2000.

All of a sudden, when logging on, the user can only see Outlook offline. When we look at Control Panel, Mail, we see MS Exchange, but cannot validate the Server to the User.

If we log in a Administrator we can validate.
The user is an Administrator on the local PC.

Does anyone know what would be causing this problem.
The user denies doing anything "strange" to his pc.

Glenn

Open MAIL under control panel and add a new mail profile (don't delete the MS-exchange one yet!). Point the profile to the right mailbox name (you will have to make sure that the owner of the mailbox is the user who is trying to connect to it ..ie under MS-exchange doubleclick the mailbox and make sure the primary nt user is correct). Once the users specific mail profile has been made you can delete the default MS-Exchange profile..this will ensure that it uses only one mail profile when authenticating to the exchange server.....

Please if I haven't explained this very well let me know....

The problem was...even though we were logged on to the server, the above would NOT validate the name.

i.e. Server Name = XXX
Name joep [Check Name]

Check name failed to find the Exchange Server.

I finally got it to work.

1. Logged into the Windows 2000 PC locally. Set up Outlook locally.
2. Log into Server Outlook THEN saw the Exchange Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back