Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Use Internet From XP -- Despite Connecting ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgestrato

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Attempted to upgrade W98SE (ibm thinkpad a22p) to XP Pro. Have been surfing dsl over wireless network from ibm with orinoco gold pcmcia card to netgear mr814 router with no probs. (Host running xp plugged into router. 'nuther machine hardwired to router running ME; all work great.)

I got the network working (eventually), but was unable to connect to the internet (dsl). Even dialing a modem connection directly to my isp, the connection would establish, I was clearly online, but the browser or other net based software could not get online. It was as if the machine couldn't "find" the connection --weird!

After initially installing xp without difficulty, I checked the ip address of the orinoco tcp/ip and it did not match what the netgear router had set for me, which i presumed was why I couldn't see the network. i manually set the tcp/ip and changed the configuration in xp to manual, specifying that this tcp/ip would always be the same. At that point the network worked perfectly. but still couldn't surf!

Saw somewhere the orinoco software messed up xp, so uninstalled. By that time the whole os was not working right so i uninstalled it, and am just looking for guidance before I try again!

btw, also have a toshiba laptop (work machine/xp home ed) which I brought home, popped the orincoo into and let xp install the driver (no orinoco software at all), and never have a problem connecting with this machine. (This machine is set for the orinoco to obtain an ip dynamically, but I can't see what the ip is...)

Sorry for the length -- any help greatly appreciated... edge

Yes, yes! Thanks! I came upon the same thing in both 95/98 many moons ago and (after much research) discovered the fix to be deleting winsock2 from the registry, then removing DUN, and adding it back again (which rebuilds winsock2). But I couldn't see the analogous fix for xp; but it certainly seemed to be a bogus winsock.

I see the zip is an exe which obviously "fixes winsock" but do you know more specifically what it does? (crawling painfully up the xp learning curve...)

I would imagine that it fixes or repairs all the Registry settings that have been tweaked or altered by other actions in the past.

Does the download site give you any details?

What the tool will do is OS version dependent. For XP:

. It disables all network adapters.
. It does this: (It contains a complete registry listing of Winsock and Winsock2 from a virgin install of XP SP1)
. It verifies the HOSTS file
. It does a netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
. It re-enables all network adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back