Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot uninstall office 2K small bus without a disk! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsbrcc

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
I'm in a predicament. I tried to uninstall office 2000 small business at add/remove programs, but it prompts me to insert the disk in order to do so. I don't have the disk. This is one of the reasons I want to uninstall in and install 2K professional.

I even tried installing 2K professional, but there were many bugs in it. The first time I noticed that part of disk 2 didn't install right, Outlook went crazy asking to install something from the small business disk in order to open, and then when I tried to re-install 2K professional to customize it, it said it could not install because a previous version of office needed to be uninstalled.

This is driving me nuts. Can anyone tell me how to uninstall 2K small business without a disk?

Thank you,
Melissa

You'll have to manually remove Office (not for the feint of heart):

Using the registry editor, browse to the following location,
Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstallthere will be several folders under there that look like some kind of serial number. Select each until you find one with a DisplayName that looks like your installation of Office. Once you find it, delete the whole registry key.

Some people recomend you save it somewhere else before deleting it in case you decide to undo it. Just select the registry key and use Export under the Registry menu item.

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, you will have to repeat at the following:
Hkey_Classes_Root\Installer\ProductsHere it will be ProductName instead of DisplayName.

You should be able to Install Pro over the top and have no problems.

NOTE: This does not actually remove Office from your system, it just make Windows think that it isn't installed. As such, it is also recomended that you delete the Office folder (Usually located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office) before installing the next version of Office.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back