Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CANNOT UNINSTALL IE7 FROM XP SP2 SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
I want to uninstall IE7 from my system. Running XP Pro SP2. Reason: Have an unknown directory on my C: 43ba504480e06.... and can not delete it. That directory contains dll and mui and ie7 files that appear to also be in c:\windows\ie7.

Since I could not delete folder I tried to do normal uninstall from Control Panel both in regular and safe mode. It fails in the Software Update Remove Wizzard with an error "Handle is Invalid".

I have tried most KB ideas but none have worked for me.

I am not able to delete the directory in safe mode either. There is a sub directory called "Update" if that is any help.

Here is a little more information. The culprit file was hmmapi.dll. I wound up able to delete all of the files except that one. Then for some unknown reason was able to delete it. Now I just have a 0 byte Update sub folder that returns an access denied error when I try to delete it. I changed the attribute from read only but that does not work. So I have this crazy directory with a 0 byte sub directory that I can not remove.

rmdir update just gives me access is denied.

Did you see if there were any hidden / system files in that folder? Change into it and type:

Code:
dir /a

Then use the attrib command to unset any hidden / system attributes on ay files present.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Well it is fixed. Poor management on my part because I can not tell you step by step how I fixed it but here are the essentials.

No matter how many times and ways I tried to view the directory "Update" it would not let me. I finally was playing around with ownership permissions and was able to see that in fact there were files in that directory and that is one other reason why I could not delete it. Then I had to change some of the file ownerships and was able to delete them. After deleting all of the files I was able to remove the "Update" directory and the crazy name directory.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

That sounds like some adware you had ahold of. Id advise running a scan with housecall below and make sure nothing else is showing. Also are you familiar with hijackthis?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back