Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot telnet to switch from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

saharac

Technical User
Apr 6, 2011
US
Hi, I am new to this forum and wanted to ask your help on a problem..

I have a couple of Catalyst 3560 switches which I am trying to setup for telnet access.
Heres what I am doing:

int vlan 1
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
no shut
line vty 0 15
password cisco
login
transport input all
enable secret cisco

All ports are in VLAN 1 by default.
I have assigned 10.0.0.5 IP to the PC and connected to switch port fa0/1.

I am able to ping the switch IP fron PC, but cannot ping the PC from switch.
When I try to telnet to switch IP, i get : "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed"

I suspect something is off with my network settings.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks.

I am able to ping the switch IP fron PC, but cannot ping the PC from switch. "

- PC firewall

I can't explain the telnet problem. Do you have a second switch? Try to exclude the PC by pinging/telnetting from one switch to the other.

Try to exclude the PC by pinging/telnetting from one switch to the other. "

I tried this, and this works both ways.
These are spare switches used for training exercises (not on the network), but I am able to get to the switches on the network from my PC through SSH.

Do you think its got to do with the firewalls or other end-point protection systems???

Thanks...

Clearly your PC SOE includes telnet-busting security.

As a network engineer, the very first thing you have to do in any new job is to break into the laptop and eliminate all association between it and updates/policy/scripts/security software. You can't do your job otherwise. Some security software even prevents you from being able to run Wireshark.

What I do is knacker all the crud installed by the Windows people designed to cripple the laptop, then I install my own AV and then all my apps - Solarwinds, Wireshark, rnping, etc...

Once you've done that, you can do your job. And never let the logon scripts run when you connect your laptop to the network. Never let them push policy or updates onto you or you'll just have to start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back