Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot stop or start the DB2 instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Our DB2 V9.1 database has been running fine for weeks. We encountered a "full transaction log" error, so we wanted to increase the settings for "logprimary" and "logsecond".

In preparation, we successfully did a "force application all". Next, we attempted to do a "db2stop", which hung. Next, we tried a "db2start", which yielded the message, "SQL1026N The database manager is already active." We again tried a "db2stop", which yielded the message, "SQL1032N No start database manager command was issued."

So, presently we are in limbo, not being able to start or stop the instance successfully. Any suggestions?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Did you attempt to stop the instance from a client?
Are you using circular or archive logging?

If memory serves me well, you do not need to stop the instance to change the logprimary/secondary settings.

But if you issue a db2stop it should be on the server..

Ties Blom

Ties,

Thanks for responding. I was doing everything on the server. I was doing a "db2stop" because when I did a "force application all", my attempt to issue the...
Code:
update db cfg for <db_name> using logprimary 20
...resulted in an error something like, "Cannot process command unless all application connections closed." (Sorry that I cannot remember the actual diagnostic.)

I finally ended up doing a "kill -9" on all instance related processes, at which point I was able to successfully do a "db2stop" and "db2start", followed by successful reallocation of both LOGPRIMARY and LOGSECOND.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back