Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot start windows98 -- mprexe error at blank desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBentl

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
CA
I am troubleshooting a desktop computer that was worked on before I got it. I don't know what was done before I started. Apparently programs were uninstalled (printer, etc). It looks like a reinstall may have been performed as well. System tools version conflict manager reported a vast amount of older files that replaced newer versions last week. I restored the newer versions and can't get beyond the empty desktop.

I have read up on the error, and it seems related to password lists. I read up on workarounds, and followed them by removing the password lists from Windows\system folder. I continue to get the error.

Any suggestions on how to prevent the machine from executing mprexe so that I can at least run windows and continue troubleshooting?

What is the exact text of the error message, incl. Details?

Boot to safe mode, run msconfig, go to startup tab, uncheck all background apps.

Matt J.

ski: The exact text is: "mprexe" and the standard "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message. If I click on "details" the dialogue box disappears and the machine hangs with the empty desktop (Windows default green).

mattjurado: The machine hangs with this error even in Safe Mode. I cannot start Windows...period.

If the system uses Win 98 or 98SE, then reinstall Windows over itself.
You will need a Windows installation CD, and a boot floppy to do this.
You can make a boot floppy on another Win 98 system if you do not have one in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Startup Disk.

-Insert the boot floppy, and start the computer(Make sure that the Floppy drive the 1st boot device in BIOS if the system does not boot from the floppy).
-Select 'Start with CD-ROM support', and press Enter.
-At the A:\> prompt, type X: (where X is the CD-ROM drive's letter as shown above the A:\> prompt, i.e., D, E, etc.), and press Enter.
-At the X:\> prompt type SETUP, insert the Windows CD, and press Enter.
-Follow the instruction to reinstall Windows.

Try either of these two commands from dos

scanreg /fix

scanreg /restore

Matt J.

Thanks for your help all. Re-installed Windows 98, helped me start Windows without "mprexe" error. This was obviously something I caused with Version Conflict Manager (in haste). I'll leave that alone in future unless I have a definite reason to change a file. I was still getting various errors with many applications though. I think someone had removed some applications using the wrong method. I manually went through the registry and removed references to a couple of programs that weren't in the machine, and then ran scanreg /fix...reinstalled the applications that my friend had told me she needed...and have met with success in fixing this machine. Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you fixed the problem, and thanks for posting back with the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back