Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot start the source application for the object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aich69

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
GB
I've posted this in the Office forum too but to no avail so was hoping someone might be able to offer some insight here (tenuous link, the user is running Windows XP Pro)

Here's the orignal post with a bit of an update wedged in...

I have a user who has several spreadsheets with embedded jpegs. When trying to open the jpegs he gets the following message:

Cannot start the source application for this object

I assumed this to be a file association issue at first but file association for jpeg files is fine. He has no issues opening the jpeg direct from source but not from within the spreadsheet.

Have tried running Excel under the local admin profile but still the same message so not a profile issue. Other users are able to open the embedded jpegs from these sheets.

For the record the spreadsheets reside on a network share and the embedded jpegs are in a separate folder on the same share.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...an answer leading to a fix may well carry a knighthood.

update....have now tried this guy with a new profile and on a freshly built machine with a new profile and he still gets the same error...all the while others are using these spreadsheets without issue, even if I log him on to a mchine that is happy opening these files it still fails for him...I'm wondering whether I should check him for rogue magnetic fields or something [neutral]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Are the other users that have this working properly running 7, Vista, or XP as well?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

All users are on XP Pro, some are running Office 2003 and some Office 2007. I'm totally stumped...

Assuming its not the only person running 03 or 07 that is having the issue either......

You say youve made a new profile for him and it still error even on a working machine. This is making me believe its more of a AD or settings issue than a Office or PC issue. Assuming you got to that conclusion as well. Copy a user that is working fine and change the login/name credentials to a test one and see if there was something that got changed server side during an update or "spring cleaning."

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Apologies for later reply...

I have no access to AD unfortunately, hands are tied as we have a department for eveything, I work in the UK..the AD team are in Germany.

Still got the problem with no sign of being able to fix it yet.

Could be a corrupt AD profile. I wasnt sure if you meant you made a new and test AD profile to use and it still didnt work or a new user on a machine and it wouldnt function.

Since you tried his user on a new machine and it malfunctioned, I would say pass all this info on to the AD team and see what they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back