Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot start dt messaging system 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

generaal

Programmer
Jan 11, 2007
ZA
i have recently had to install aix, setup the ip address, gateway etc., but as soon as i logged out i could not login again. the hostname in /etc/hosts is correct, and i just cannot get any further

It look like a name resolution problem Dit you try to wait a long time to look if after the timeout you're able to log in ?

Have a look to your name resolution config

I am not sure i understand. at the moment i can only login using a failsafe session

in general those type of problems with Dt login apears whe, the system is configured with a DNS but can't acces is.

You may try someting like that

mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.save

and then try to log in

This problem is almost always because the server/workstation can not resolve its own name (an identity crisis:)
One way to resolve is to have the system rely on the /etc/hosts file for name resolution.
If their is an /etc/netsvc.conf then place
one line in it: hosts = local,bind4
if their is not an /etc/netsvc.conf then create one as the root user and place that line in it.

then either reboot or stop and restart CDE
shutdown -Fr or
ps -ef |grep dtlogin
kill -9 <pid of dtlogin>
/etc/rc.dt &
then exit and log back in

hope that this helps

This issue was resolved and i can now login as the root user, but i created a new user and i still get this problem with the dt messaging system. This user does not have access rights so did an su command to the root user and followed all ths steps outlined above, but still with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back