Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot shut down as no command file.Only restart after safe mode. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab2

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
Hi
Not sure if this hardware or software problem but it sure has me beat
Running Viglen with AMD450 on 98SE
Last night everything normal switched off as usual. Today switched on. Usual 2 pages of tests on memory, IDE etc etc. Then just got C:\ which stuck there. Could not write to this prompt. So tried all skip tests etc and all I could think of ( not much in my case ) . Nothing
Decided have to do complete fresh reload so put in boot disc. (tried messing about to get Windows going from there no joy or maybe no knowledge). So formatted C and started afresh. Windows put in files and then restarted and same problem nothing but C prompt.
Now I tried F5 and this brings up safe mode. Windows then completed.
Now the wierd thing. If I now start Windows in safe mode it loads. Then I restart and it comes back in normal mode. Hence I have been able to get on net.
If I switch off and the start up I get stuck at C prompt after following (abbreviated as I know you lot understand these things )
C Mode con etc
Mode prepare code page etc
C mode con codepage select=850
Mode select page function completed
C keyb uk, C\ windows\command keyboard sys
c:\>

That then sticks and I can do nothing.
Only clue I got and I cannot remember what I was pressing as tried everything was one message saying No Command file found.
So in safe mode it says bypassing setup files so is that the problem and why? What is wierd is that it has happened overnight and correct and usual files are in.

Anyone any ideas please. I have some limited knowledge but basically computer thick so take it easy

Easiest to edit the msdos.sys (on root, SHR attribs) to add bootmenu=1 with the boot stuff. That will give the menu everytime. Then try a bootlog boot. When it upchucks, reboot a command prompt only and look at the bootlog.txt (root, H) and see what is giving you problems.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks
for answering Ed but you have lost me !!! I will yell you what I just did and results
1 Used find to look for msdos.sys - no result
2 thought it might be in DOS so restarted in that - again not there in fact only 3 files there which I don't think is enough is it ? ( ignoring directories like windows, mydoc etc )
3 Tried to get windows back, no go so switched off. Then it failed to load on message "your prog has created a divide overflow problem"
4 Switched off again and on pressing f5 until message "windows is bypassing your start up files"
5 Windows then loads in safe mode. Immediately restart on shut down button and now have normal windows back.

Sorry I know you are trying to solve but can only do what I understand

start , programs, msdos
cd ..
attrib -s -h -r msdos.sys
edit msdos.sys
add the line then [alt] then [F], then , then [alt], then [F], then [X]
exit
start , shutdown, restart

gets the menu, choose bootlog

next time go for command prompt
attrib -s -h -r bootlog.txt
type bootlog.txt | more
this will give a list of things starting up and hopefully the failure

Ed Fair

Hi Ed
I am not sure this was what was intended but
1 I went to dos and followed your instructions and inserted
bootmenu=1 + other stuff .This in a little lot all mentioning boot below an opening few lines then a gap then the boot stuff then a gap and loads of XXXXXXXXXXX with dire warnings not to touch as needed.
2 Closed down and switched on again then a new screen appeared with 6 options
1 Normal
2 Logged (bootlog.txt)
3 Safe
4 Step by step confirmation
5 Command prompt only
6 Safe Command prompt only

I was a bit confused by your second bit bootlog.txt|more produced bad command at C prompt BUT I ran 2 and this looks to me the same as bootlog in windows c drive. I also ran 4 and just pressed Y to all answers. I then tried 1 normal. This is having switched off before each and low and behold windows is now loading from start on each attempt !!
Did you jog something ?
Anyhow many thanks and hopefully I will now be OK but will return if not
Have ticked your most useful post.
Cheers
John

Nothing you did should have changed anything. Except possibly some timinig of stuff starting up.
#2 was the correct choice for what you needed.
The next step was to look at the bootlog. But if the path was wrong it couldn't find more. And that would have given the error.
Now that you have windows up you can look at the bootlog with notepad or wordpad after you make it visible. The system keeps trying to hide it. There should be a previous copy visible, but that isn't the one you want.

Ed Fair

Hi Ed
Well I just think it must be your natural genius scared my computer, it knew you could beat it.
Seriously though I can now access bootlog but as you can imagine it is a bit too much for me !!! It seems to just report success after nearly all. Few failed though. The earliest says "loading VXD = ndis2sup.vxd" then next line says load failed. Few others but I have no idea what they mean.

You won't believe how many have started working when I've walked in the room.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back