Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot shrink MSDE file

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
I noticed that my MDF file was close to full yesterday. It's to the point that it has shut down MSDE from processing any more requests.

I have been using the cmd lines (OSQL); the SHRINKDATABASE, SHRINKLOG as well as running some of the sql files that the vendor sent to me.

My issue is that they are not working. I when I run the SHRINKs, I receive an error message that the database is not an MSDE.

If I run the scripts provided by the vendor, they come back saying that the "Database "XXXX" cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient data."

Any clues to work around this and get the file smaller?

Can you post the error you are getting. Also,
If you have open or a long running transaction in the database then those transaction can not be removed from the log. Which file is it that you are trying to shrink? The .mdf or .ldf? or both?

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

THis is from the SQL Log:

2007-04-27 08:36:08.43 spid4 Error: 1105, Severity: 17, State: 2
2007-04-27 08:36:08.43 spid4 Could not allocate space for object 'tblEvent' in database 'PraetorLog' because the 'DEFAULT' filegroup is full..
2007-04-27 08:36:08.45 spid4 Error while undoing logged operation in database 'PraetorLog'. Error at log record ID (100191:17970:5).

The database is limited to 2 thousand and some change of space.

The hard drive still has another 13 Gig of space.

MSDE is limited to 2 GB. You will have to removed some data if you can.

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

On another note, sorry if I'm missing something, why are you trying to shrink the database of the MDF is close to full?

Hmmm..maybe I don't understand shrinking of the mdfs. This was something I had googled late last night and thought as a resolution for either compressing or really cleaning up the MDF file.

On a different note, I just got off the phone with the vendor. The reason why the scripts weren't running is because of the amount or lack of memory in the server.

He also issued us new MDF files, so in short our issue has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back