Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot setup SQL mail in Microsoft SQL 2000 because SQL mail can't see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
US
I have a MS SQL server 2000 that I need it to send email to me daily. This SQL is running on Windows 2003. I installed Outlook 2003 and setup a POP3 account. As I understand, this will create a MAPI profile that SQL server's SQL mail can use.
However, when I go to Enterprise Manager, I could not find the profile I created. Usually I see Microsoft Outlook listed in the drop down menu in the property of SQL Mail, which now shows nothing.
Why doesn't SQL mail picks up the profile I created? Please help

Are all the SQL Server accounts using local logins or domain user logins? You need to be using domain user logins to use SQLMail to begin with.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

First, don't run your SQL Server as a domain admin. It doesn't need those kinds of permissions.

Second, for SQL 2000 you need to use Outlook 2000, Outlook 2003 can cause problems.

Third, SQL Mail doesn't work well with POP3 servers. You should look into using xp_smtp_sendmail instead (google for it).

Here is an FAQ on setting up SQL Mail faq962-4452.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Ouch! Domain Admin accounts are bad, bad, bad. Major Security Risk.

Plain ole vanilla Domain User accounts with a few specific global policy permissions (depending on if you're doing replication, etc) are all that you need for SQL Services.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back