Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot setup same name server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricnewman

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
IE
Hi Guys
I hope you can help me out on this
I'm changing a server and I am trying to setup the new server offline for identical replacement (servername;ip etc)
The problem is as follows 1)setup ntserver as pdc using same name;domain & ip address. No problem.
2)Install Exchange 5.5 using same Org&site specifying exchsvr as service account admin. no prob
3)As directed by microsoft copy Exchange folders into this install (from dat tape)and try to access exchange. Insufficient rights error occurs and Inf store will not start
4)run Isinteg -patch from cmd line but denied again due to insufficient rights
5)uninstall exchange and setup fresh using admin as service account admin. no prob
6) copy folders as earlier and same scenario
I had already run the optimizer on both the live exchange and the new install to verify correct paths for folders so I'm confident that the folders are being copied into the correct locations
The problem is there are three accounts listed as service account admin ( exchsvr;admin & bentop for backup exec which is also denied ) and I am trying to find out 1)which was setup initially and 2)have you any advice on how to resolve this issue
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hi J
I have the same server name and all details are replicated
i already tried the articles you mention but thanks anyway

To find which is used as the service account check the log on for the exchange services.

What you should do ideally before forklifting across the .edb files and the log files is to remove all security from the exchange databases. You do this by removing all the accounts from the Configuration,Site & Org levels

XADM: How to Remove All Security from an Exchange Server Directory Service Database for a Lab Environment (Q241152)

This thread thread10-225586 and some other MS KB Articles

XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site (Q152959)

XADM: How to Delete a Server from a Site (Q189286)

XADM: How to Move Exchange Server to a New Computer with the Same Name (Q155216)

XADM: Forklifting All Users to a New Server (Q199954)

Chris.

Hi Chris
Many thanks for your valuable input
I am going to try removing the security then copying all exchsrvr folders after stopping services and then restoring to the new server
There's only one server in this scenario (pdc) so I will have to put back the permissions as soon as I have the backup and restart exchange on the live server
Then I can see on the new server if all configuration incl mailboxes,public folders etc are there
I wont be able to test it at this point but if I try to run a backup and select the individual mailboxes will this be a simple test to see are the mailboxes ok?
Thanks again

Hi Guys
I tried removing the security on the orig exchange,copy to tape and restore to new server
Ran isinteg -patch ran ok
I can open Exch admin and see that users have mail in mailbox resources but I cannot see individual mail either in outlook 2000 or through backup exec 8.5 (with exch agent) at brick level
Is there something I'm missing here?
All feedback greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back