Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send zip files in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktwclark

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hi

I'm having a problem with my PC in that I can't send emails with suspect attachments such as zip files or exe files. I realise this has to do with some security setting but can't seem to find the option to change this.

Can anybody offer some help.

Not sure where it is but you can rename the extension to .tmp or something with a note on your e-mail to rename it back to .zip and it should go through

If you're using Outlook with dial-up e-mail, then there's nothing you can do but change the file extension.

If you're attaching to an Exchange server, the the rules for sending/receiving attachments can be set at the server -go and talk nicely to your Exchange Administrator! :eek:)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm using a server but it did accept zip files and exe files when I was using Outlook 2000. Now I've upgraded to Outlook XP but the zip and exe files can't be attached to emails. I'm convinced it's an Outlook issue as oppossed to a server issue.

Currently I rename the file extension and add a batch file to rename it back.

Not everybody has file extentions shown by default in their folder options, so when you instruct them to rename the file extension they actually rename the file by mistake.

Thank's for the response though.

MSDN (June 2002 ed) says about Outlook Security features administrative package. Admpack.exe can be installed from Office XP Resource Kit CD. It works via Exchange Server only (!). It seems no other way to control Outlook attach extensions lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back