Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send to specifig domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaine011

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2003
CA
I am getting the following message when trying to send to a domain:

person@domain.com on 11/19/2003 2:50 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<server.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;554 <person@domain.com>: Relay access denied>

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

i have seen this ALOT lately, i think many of the spam cleaning services are mucking up the proper activity of SMTP services

a resend has worked 99% of the time for me

I have resent it several times over the last 2 months and it never works. Is there a spamming list to see if they are on it?

You may want to contact the Org directly that you are trying to email and make sure that you aren't blocke for some reason. I had this happen to me before. An Isp blocked a whole range of ip's and my address was in it.

Nick

I spoke with our ISP and they were able to send an email to this individual. It only appears to be people from my company domain.

We recently had a problem where some people couldn't send to us.

'We' narrowed it down to the fact our ISP didnt have a reverse lookup (PTR) record on their DNS servers for our Mail Server

Girth is right. We also had the same problem - some domains refuse to accept messages unless they have reverse DNS configured as a spam prevention method.

To which domain ISP do I need to have this reverse DNS lookup address applied, mine or the sendee's. I have set up a Reverse DNS lookup, and I get this message still:

'sendee' on 12/17/2003 3:04 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<server.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;554 <user@sendeedomain.com>: Relay access denied>

In the case of the problem we had you should get your ISP to apply it to thier DNS Servers and it should then propagate.

May take several hours or days to work round.

I have had the Reverse lookup table entry on my ISP DNS record updated, still nothing, I also have a PIX firewall, could that be causing the problem?

If you have the FIXUP SMTP enabled on the PIX - I have seen that cause some problems.

I too have a PIX, and periodically see this problem. Part of it may only be reverse PTR entry - I will have to look into that.

You can also go to and do an email validation on the email address you are trying to send to. You may find communication problems on one or more of the receiving email servers. We have had to set-up static SMTP connectors for some domains to route all email for that domain to their backup email servers because their primary servers were refusing connections. You may also need to turn off ESMTP for messages going to that domain as they could have an older SMTP server that doesn't accept ESMTP commands.

Good luck,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back