Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Send/Receive external email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffy1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Any help would be much appreciated with the following:

Since on of our (W2K3) domain controllers in a branch was rebooted we have been unable to send/receive email from our W2K3 Exchange server at head office. Prior to the reboot the DNS configuration for the sever was pointing to another windows 2000 server (non DC) as the primary DNS server and also for WINS. As this server is being phased out I pointed the branch DC to itself and to a main office server for alternative DNS.

This change was last week but the first reboot of the branch DC ties in exactly with the time emails queued to go out and the time they stopped coming in. I have changed all settings back and rebooted but nothing.

Can anyone help as this is bizarre?

Do you have DNS working correctly?
What errors in the event log?

Hi!

It must be an internal DNS problem but I can’t see where (my DNS knowledge inst great though). There are no errors in the event logs so I am at a loss. What would determine how an email gets out? Our MX record is pointing to a public IP address provided by our ISP - they have confirmed that all is correct their end,

All sorted. Problems with the ISP!

Doh! Well, it least it is now resolved - annoying that things coincided to throw you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back