Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot send or receive external mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
Have installed Exchange 2000 (as part of sbs 2000)

I cannot send or receive external emails though. When I try and send, the email ends up in a folder in exchange (under default smtp virtual server) called messages with an unreachable destination

I am sick and tired of this problem. I have been trying to fix it for nearly a week now and am no further ahead than I was when I started

Please can someone help?

Most of the time this is a DNS issue - do you have DNS installed locally? If so, can you resolve addresses using nslookup? If not, that's your problem sending.

Receiving is also probably DNS, but that may be at a different level. Wherever you registered your internet domain name from has DNS servers listed that host the records for your domain. Those DNS servers must have an MX record that points to your mail server, or point to an authorotative DNS server for your domain that does have the MX record. Marc Creviere

Have you opened up port 25 on your firewall and/or router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back